Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

NestorAcevedo
Hi all,

I have a kind of legal question about SLES. I would wish to sell an
appliance, more exactly a SLES appliances with any software, maybe an
own PHP development or Joomla, and so on preconfigured and do people pay
per software + aws charges. Does exists some on SLES license or
susestudio license that I unknow to do it?

I will not use any SUSE logo or any similar, some similar to Bitnami.
Could I do it with a SLES?

Regards.

Re: Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

NestorAcevedo
Still I have the same question. Am I able to sell a SLES with any PHP, DB or CMS ?

Re: Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

DsmithTopgun

My understanding is that you can sell your software but not sles although it can be used for the underlying os although you'd require a support agreement for it(not so with open suse though)

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017, 19:04 NestorAcevedo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Still I have the same question. Am I able to sell a SLES with any PHP, DB or
CMS ?

Re: Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

Christian
Am 08.01.2017 um 01:29 schrieb Daniel Smith:
> although you'd require a support agreement for it
It is not a requirement ... only when you want to have updates.

--

Christian
   - Please do not 'CC' me on list mails.

Re: Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

NestorAcevedo
Thank you all.

So I could not offer any SLES appliance on AWS Marketplace if I don't have any support aggreement? Is that correct? or I could do it but without offering updates or similar?

Re: Selling SLES with software on Amazon or Azure

Robert Schweikert-2
On 01/07/2017 09:28 PM, NestorAcevedo wrote:
> Thank you all.
>
> So I could not offer any SLES appliance on AWS Marketplace if I don't have
> any support aggreement? Is that correct?

No.

> or I could do it but without
> offering updates or similar?

No.

However, if you want to sell on AWS marketplace ontop of SLES there is a
benefit to be part of the SUSE Partner program. You can base you
offering on the SUSE on demand images that are in AWS. If you create
your images properly then your customers will get access to the update
repos. All of this is without support from SUSE, meaning if there is a
bug in SLES that effects your application you are on your own. This is
where the benefits of the partner program come into play.

You can also create you own image not starting with the SUSE offered on
demand image and then upload it as an on demand image [2] has
information about creating your own on demand image that can access the
the SUSE update infrastructure in AWS.

HTH,
Robert

[1] https://www.suse.com/partners/
[2] https://www.suse.com/communities/blog/amazon-image-management-improved/

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Public Cloud Architect                         LINUX